Edward Anthony Cullen Headquarters

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HOME OF THE COLD ONES & PERSONAL SPACE HEATERS

I forgot my password

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 66144 messages in 1196 subjects

We have 110 registered users

The newest registered user is djcarnation

Royal Cullenates on Twitter

+6
twiheart
Mizz Lola Marie Efron
TheRealBella
ediedo
LiONLAMBxox
magic
10 posters

Twilight and Breaking Dawn blamed for thirteen year old runaways

magic
    magic
    Royal Cullenate
    Royal Cullenate

Number of posts : 3968
    Job/hobbies : being magic
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Twilight and Breaking Dawn blamed for thirteen year old runaways Empty Twilight and Breaking Dawn blamed for thirteen year old runaways

Post  magic Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:12 pm

They went out to look for Edward and help Cullens to beat Volturi What a Face But if serious then that's just very crazy!!! Suspect

Twilight and Breaking Dawn blamed for thirteen year old runaways

If there was ever a story about the need to reign in reality for some kids, this is it.

Sure, we've heard of kids supposedly biting eachother to imitate Twilight (or so their parents might suggest), but this story takes the concept of "life imitating art" in the Twilight world to all new heights.

According to a local Massachusetts newspaper, two thirteen year old kids ran away - and police think it has something to do with Twilight and Breaking Dawn.

Says the Gloucester Daily,

Police say they are still not certain why two 13-year-old Rockport girls decided to skip school and set up an overnight camp in the woods of Gloucester on Monday.

But Rockport police Sgt. Mark Schmink said letters addressed to friends and family left behind by the Rockport Middle School students indicated they may have been inspired by the best-selling, young adult book series, "Twilight," a fantasy romance series recently adapted into a blockbuster movie.

The reason that the police are fingering the Twilight series, according to the publication, is that

As police searched for the girls later Monday, overnight and into yesterday morning, clues to their disappearance came streaming into police headquarters.

According to police Chief Tom McCarthy, notes relative to girls' disappearance were found in their friends' lockers and under their pillows at home. The family of one of the girls also told police they had found a list of camping supplies and that a tent and air mattress were missing.

"At that point, it became apparent they were camping out somewhere," McCarthy said.

After reading the notes left for friends at school and conducting searches in both girls' homes, Schmink — who has read all four "Twilight" books and saw the movie with his daughter — hypothesized the girls may have been inspired by the series.

"The reason these kids left wasn't drugs or alcohol, they weren't lured out of the house by a predator, and there wasn't a bad family environment," Schmink said yesterday.

"This is pure conjecture as to a reason why this occurred because they don't want to discuss it," Schmink said. "But they both had "Twilight" posters in their bedrooms and the letters (in the lockers) reference specific characters and almost matched a letter printed in the fourth book, word for word."

Says the Gloucester Times in a separate publication on the event,

Rockport police Chief Tom McCarthy said Schmink's familiarity with the story — he has read all four "Twilight" books and saw the movie with his daughter — was extremely helpful to the investigation .

"From reading the notes, they very much represented the same type of thought process and themes that were throughout the 'Twilight' series of books and the movie," Schmink said.

The "a" in Pamela's signature on one of the letters featured two fangs with blood dripping from them, Schmink said.

"Also, there were references to specific characters in the books in the letters left under their pillows," he said. "The letters (left in their friends' lockers) matched a letter in the fourth book ("Breaking Dawn") almost word for word. The letters followed the same story line where they said they had to get away because they were endangering people by staying around and that the reason would become apparent to people later."

However, the letters weren't the only pieces that helped Schmink make the "Twilight" connection.

"The reason these kids left wasn't drugs or alcohol, they weren't lured out of the house by a predator and there wasn't a bad family environment," Schmink noted. "They both had 'Twilight' posters and books in their bedrooms."

Undoubtedly, the police chief's familiarity with the Twilight series aided in understanding the motives of these two runaways.

We've already discussed the issue of whether Breaking Dawn is a children's book. Although our discussion of the question centered on the fact that the intimacy and level of violence in the series was substantially elevated in Breaking Dawn, apparently there is more to the matter than we initially expected.

If the "runaway" sequences with Alice and Jasper have really played any part - which, from the chief's experience with the series and his observations with the children's notes, seems to be the case - in the disappearance of these kids, there is a wealth of new discourse that needs to be had about this portion of the Twilight saga (as well as, potentially, the other books).

Parents of young teens that are reading or have read the Twilight series probably don't expect that things can get out of hand this way in the very minds of their youngsters, but the truth is that kids are impressionable, and they need to be guided.

With the Harry Potter series, for instance, many parents chose to offer a gentle resistence to the fleeting imaginations of their children and remind them of the concept of fiction and fantasy. The sentiment, when necessary, is that imagination is okay - but it does not extend to reality in certain ways. (In other words, with the Harry Potter series, escaping plight cannot be done with the flicker of a wrist and the like.)

In the case of Twilight, perhaps parents who have young children with an interest in the book and film series should take it upon themselves to make sure their children have a firm grasp on the distinctions between the spunk-tastic and enjoyable world where vampires, werewolves, and immortality exist and the real world where actions have consequences, and otherworldly beings such as the Cullen and La Push families are but a literary creation.

With this understanding, perhaps, incidents such as these - which can be life-threatening to these children - wouldn't happen at all.

So, I ask you, how would you try to communicate these messages to your children if they were reading the Twilight series? How would you approach the discussion so as not to stifle their creativity while still bolstering the norms of actuality in their thought processes? Comment below and let us know your thoughts!

http://www.examiner.com/x-4908-Twilight-Examiner~y2009m6d17-Twilight-and-Breaking-Dawn-blamed-for-thirteen-year-old-runaways
    LiONLAMBxox
    LiONLAMBxox
    Runs With Vampires
    Runs With Vampires

Number of posts : 11705
    Registration date : 2009-03-15

Twilight and Breaking Dawn blamed for thirteen year old runaways Empty Re: Twilight and Breaking Dawn blamed for thirteen year old runaways

Post  LiONLAMBxox Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:58 pm

that has got to be one of the top 5 STUPIDEST things i ever heard in my LIFE! what the HELL! and thats why people hate twilight. these girls are twilight fans, and run away and its OBVIOUSLY twilights fault! stupid people who have no idea what theyre talking about!
    ediedo
    ediedo
    Vampire Cullenate Extraordinaire

Number of posts : 1626
    Registration date : 2009-06-11

Twilight and Breaking Dawn blamed for thirteen year old runaways Empty Re: Twilight and Breaking Dawn blamed for thirteen year old runaways

Post  ediedo Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:44 pm

don't tell me they want to forbid to sell it just like Dragonbal in my country
    TheRealBella
    TheRealBella
    Royal Cullenate
    Royal Cullenate

Number of posts : 9302
    Job/hobbies : Reading, writing, sleeping, music, etc.
    Registration date : 2009-03-16

Post  TheRealBella Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:47 pm

Oh my god! That's so freaking stupid. What the Hale? I could totally go into a huge rant right now, but I'll save my breath and just say I'm so pissed off!
    Mizz Lola Marie Efron
    Mizz Lola Marie Efron
    The Kick-Ass Vampire Spy
    The Kick-Ass Vampire Spy

Number of posts : 1313
    Job/hobbies : Music and Singing.
    Registration date : 2009-03-16

Post  Mizz Lola Marie Efron Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:37 pm

That's got to be the most stupidest and funniest thing i've ever heard in my life. OMZ, they went to look for the Cullens and fight the Volturi?????
    twiheart
    twiheart
    Newborn Vampire Cullenate

Number of posts : 460
    Job/hobbies : makeup...and Twilight Saga :)
    Registration date : 2009-05-09

Post  twiheart Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:39 pm

stupid little kids...

annd stupid adults for blaming a freaking BOOK for stupid kids running away!

hahahahhahaha really??? TWILIGHT?!?!?!
    magic
    magic
    Royal Cullenate
    Royal Cullenate

Number of posts : 3968
    Job/hobbies : being magic
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post  magic Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:42 pm

Mizz Lola Marie Efron wrote:That's got to be the most stupidest and funniest thing i've ever heard in my life. OMZ, they went to look for the Cullens and fight the Volturi?????
    That's just my version Laughing

But seriously. I can't believe this actually. How that can happen. Of course that's parent's fault. How can children in that age can't seperate reality from fantasy? That's kind of unbelievable. I mean, kids at that age already has sex nowday which I also think is little bit early. But anyway... Eithe those parents are not normal or kids.
    Valkyrja
    Valkyrja

Number of posts : 768
    Registration date : 2009-03-19

Post  Valkyrja Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:58 pm

LiONLAMBxox wrote:that has got to be one of the top 5 STUPIDEST things i ever heard in my LIFE! what the HELL! and thats why people hate twilight. these girls are twilight fans, and run away and its OBVIOUSLY twilights fault! stupid people who have no idea what theyre talking about!
    Exactly. There are fans like this, and then people think we are all just the same thing. Insane to the point of being stupid.
    LiONLAMBxox
    LiONLAMBxox
    Runs With Vampires
    Runs With Vampires

Number of posts : 11705
    Registration date : 2009-03-15

Post  LiONLAMBxox Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:17 pm

its true lol! i mean we JOKE about it... but we wouldnt really DO it! still... idk. stupid people all around in that situation. how about you blame the kids for thinking the book was real, not the book because two messed up little girls have a problem distinguishing fiction and reality.
    Jasper'sMineForever
    Jasper'sMineForever

Number of posts : 1909
    Job/hobbies : Stalking my Vampire Dream-boys <3 xoxo
    Registration date : 2009-04-26

Post  Jasper'sMineForever Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:30 pm

That is exactly how fans like us get a bad name. Yes we are obsessed (mainly meaning Ten there lolz), yes in some cases we are a more than a little disillusioned, yes we create hypothetical situations and thing we'd like to happen but when push comes to shove we know that there are limits and how far we can push them before we are considered legally insane. But those girls just took it one step too far. I mean really imagine if they got lost or died of exposure or something. Would the parents sue SM for coming up with a work of fictional genius??? How can they blame a book for the irrational actions of two young girls. Serioulsy I don't see the logic.
    Pretty_Twisted
    Pretty_Twisted
    Jake's REAL Imprintee
    Jake's REAL Imprintee

Number of posts : 8890
    Location : With Jacob, as always, nice and warm, and very naked in his bed.
    Job/hobbies : Jacob Black, Taylor Lautner, Jacob Black, Taylor Lautner, Jacob Black, Taylor Lautner
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Post  Pretty_Twisted Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:15 pm

What stupid little shits. Seriously, they will find any excuse to not blame the parents for lack of parenting, seriously, it is the same with the wrestling and some video games. But the wrestling and video games have distinct warnings on them not to do it, and when kids do, BLAME THE FRCUKING PARENTS, it is a parents job to teach their children reality from fantasy.

I think this is just as bad as the kids biting each other thing, there are alot of other things that could have been blamed for the biting. But no, lets all blame Twilight because it is in at the moment.

If these kids are stupid enough to go and actually do that, BLAME THE PARENTS, at 13 they should know the difference between fantasy and reality. Seriously. If it was a 7 year old then yeah, maybe, because to them everything is real, even the tooth fairy, so that is understandable. But 13, WTF, where did the parents go wrong?

I mean, i know i personally dream, fantasize and wish to act out some of the scene's in the book. But hey, i am almost 21, i can take care of myself and know when something is to far out of my reality reach. LOL!

Stupid kids!
    Cannibal_Corpse
    Cannibal_Corpse
    Master Cullenate

Number of posts : 346
    Job/hobbies : Being bored 99% of the time. Does that count as a job?
    Registration date : 2009-03-20

Post  Cannibal_Corpse Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:05 am

Wow. is this for real? lolz. i mean it is so dumb. why blame twilight for? clearly it is just some real stupid kids taking something to seriously. lolz.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:19 pm